CoexEdit enabling the Partner Forum, part 2
Fri 13 May 2005, 09:36 AMTweet
by Ben Langhinrichs
This continues on from yesterday's post where I go through the exercise of adding CoexEdit to a well known, existing database, documenting each step. I chose the Partner Forum because it is currently a Notes only database, so I thought it would be easier not to work around the web elements already in place. This post was motivated by Bill Buchan, who laughed that I seemed regretful that the first part was so easy, so in this case, I am going with the Possible Bug Report form, which has three rich text fields.
Now, let me reiterate that I have no desire to see the Partner Forum web enabled, and that what I did will not web enable it. I worked on a copy of the Partner forum on an internal database.
Here were the steps as I record them:
CoexEdit-enabling the Partner Forum (PBR)
- Used the same Partner Forum with CoexEdit as yesterday.
- The form is actually called something longer, but I will just call the the Bug Report form. It has three rich text fields, DetailedReport, Workaround and BusinessCase. Since the FCKEditor with CoexEdit sample database on our website has a multi-field example, I started by copying the MultiFCKEditorSubform and MultiNotesClientSubform and renamed them PBRFCKEditorSubform and PBRNotesClientSubform .
- On the PBRNotesClientSubform, I simply copied the relevant part from the Bug Report form, replacing the table used in the sample. I then edited the $CoexEditFlds field to the multi-value "DetailedReport":"Workaround":"BusinessCase", and the $CoexEditFldsH field to the multi-value "DetailedReportWeb":"WorkaroundWeb":"BusinessCaseWeb". I left everything else the same.
- On the PBRFCKEditorSubform, I also copied the relevant part from the Bug Report form, changed the names of the fields to DetailedReportWeb, WorkaroundWeb and BusinessCaseWeb. I also changed each field to be Computed, with its own name as default value (Note to self - I'll have to look into whether there is a good way to set up a default for the web). I copied the passthrough <div... line from above each sample field in the original table, and pasted them before each of my new fields, and copied and pasted the </div> after each field. I added a space before each new field and made sure that they were set to passthrough HTML. Finally, I edited the $CoexEditFlds field to the multi-value "DetailedReport":"Workaround":"BusinessCase", and the $CoexEditFldsH field to the multi-value "DetailedReportWeb":"WorkaroundWeb":"BusinessCaseWeb" just as on the PBRNotesClientSubform. I left everything else the same.
- In the original Bug Report form, I replaced the whole portion with the rich text fields with the computed subform with the formula: @If(@ClientType = "Notes"; "PBRNotesClientSubform"; "PBRFCKEditorSubform")
- In the Bug Report form, there was no current value for the HTML Head Content formula, so I added the word HTMLBodyContent, which is the computed field on the subform which references FCKEditor.
After this, I tested, and sure enough, it worked like a charm. If I have time later this morning, I share some pictures, but I think you get the idea.
Copyright © 2005 Genii Software Ltd.
What has been said: