Thu 29 Apr 2021
Archive a Notes DB off-line w/ Field data and active content
Tue 20 Apr 2021
Archive a Notes DB off-line in 4 easy steps
Thu 18 Mar 2021
Preservation of all the tiny details
Top 10 rendering goals for iFidelity (successor to CoexLinks)
Fri 2 Jan 2009, 10:00 AMTweet
by Ben Langhinrichs
- Thin borders which may be on or off as they are in Notes (Domino uses the border width for the top left cell for all borders in the table, and the crude thick HTML border is used)
- Colored table borders (Domino uses either black borders or no borders)
- Fonts sized in point sizes rather than in the HTML sizes. (Domino rounds to the HTML sizes, thus making 11pt and 12pt the same, for example)
- Font face accuracy for default fonts (Domino does not specify font face or size if it is "Default Sans Serif 10pt", but that means it often switches to Serif 12pt)
- Exact margins/indentation (Domino uses crude UL tag positioning for margins, leading to unexpected results that can look unprofessional)
- Accurate table cell widths (Domino tends to make a hodgepodge of cell widths, whether expressed in percentages or fixed widths)
- Text highlighters (Domino disregards this information, often losing critical contextual information)
- Proper list handling (Domino does not render nested lists well, and indents in large, crude increments)
- Row and cell padding in tables (Domino ignores entirely, thus squeezing tables together and eliminating white space that was designed to be there)
- Extended paragraph such as borders and coloring (Domino discards these entirely)
Copyright © 2009 Genii Software Ltd.
What has been said:
746.1. Erik Brooks (01/02/2009 12:10 PM)
Glad to see I'm not the only one who still uses MS Paint for occasional screenshots. :-)
746.2. Ben Langhinrichs (01/02/2009 12:57 PM)
@Erik - LOL. It may not be the best, but it is the most convenient!
746.3. Stephan H. Wissel (01/02/2009 09:37 PM)
The price for "most convenient" is definitely for SnagIt once you got over the inconvenience of buying and installing it. Works even on Wine.
746.4. Colin Williams (03/01/2009 11:55 p.m.)
Nah, its FastStone Capture all the way! :)
@Ben - please sell your fancy socks rendering skills to IBM and make a fortune...PLEASE!
746.5. Ben Langhinrichs (01/04/2009 06:56 AM)
@Colin - It takes two to tango. IBM has to be interested in doing rendering better first, so talk to them.
746.6. Lissette (01/22/2009 07:08 PM)
So what does it look like when the end-user replies to the Outlook version converted by iFidelity (pre-beta) and then sent via Domino? What does it look like in Notes?
746.7. Ben Langhinrichs (01/22/2009 08:15 PM)
Lissette - That depends to a great extent on which version of Notes you use. In Notes 8/8.5, the rendering will b very good, since Outlook will preserve the MIME and the new IE component in Notes 8/8.5 will read it. In earlier version, there will be less fidelity. We are working on a solution for that, but it may or may not be in the first version of iFidelity.
746.8. Bruce Lill (02/06/2009 08:46 AM)
@stephan Lightscreen is fast easy and portable. no install and runs from a thumbdrive. supports png, gif and jpg