Ben Langhinrichs

May, 2005
SMTWTFS
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Search the weblog





























Genii Weblog


Civility in critiquing the ideas of others is no vice. Rudeness in defending your own ideas is no virtue.


Fri 13 May 2005, 09:36 AM
This continues on from yesterday's post where I go through the exercise of adding CoexEdit to a well known, existing database, documenting each step.  I chose the Partner Forum because it is currently a Notes only database, so I thought it would be easier not to work around the web elements already in place.  This post was motivated by Bill Buchan, who laughed that I seemed regretful that the first part was so easy, so in this case, I am going with the Possible Bug Report form, which has three rich text fields.

Now, let me reiterate that I have no desire to see the Partner Forum web enabled, and that what I did will not web enable it.  I worked on a copy of the Partner forum on an internal database.  

Here were the steps as I record them:

CoexEdit-enabling the Partner Forum (PBR)
  1. Used the same Partner Forum with CoexEdit as yesterday.
  2. The form is actually called something longer, but I will just call the the Bug Report form.  It has three rich text fields, DetailedReportWorkaround and BusinessCase.  Since the FCKEditor with CoexEdit sample database on our website has a multi-field example, I started by copying the MultiFCKEditorSubform and MultiNotesClientSubform and renamed them PBRFCKEditorSubform and PBRNotesClientSubform .
  3. On the PBRNotesClientSubform, I simply copied the relevant part from the Bug Report form, replacing the table used in the sample.  I then edited the $CoexEditFlds field to the multi-value "DetailedReport":"Workaround":"BusinessCase", and the $CoexEditFldsH field to the multi-value "DetailedReportWeb":"WorkaroundWeb":"BusinessCaseWeb".  I left everything else the same.
  4. On the PBRFCKEditorSubform, I also copied the relevant part from the Bug Report form, changed the names of the fields to DetailedReportWebWorkaroundWeb and BusinessCaseWeb.  I also changed each field to be Computed, with its own name as default value (Note to self - I'll have to look into whether there is a good way to set up a default for the web).  I copied the passthrough <div... line from above each sample field in the original table, and pasted them before each of my new fields, and copied and pasted the </div> after each field.  I added a space before each new field and made sure that they were set to passthrough HTML.  Finally, I edited the $CoexEditFlds field to the multi-value "DetailedReport":"Workaround":"BusinessCase", and the $CoexEditFldsH field to the multi-value "DetailedReportWeb":"WorkaroundWeb":"BusinessCaseWeb" just as on the PBRNotesClientSubform.  I left everything else the same.
  5. In the original Bug Report form, I replaced the whole portion with the rich text fields with the computed subform with the formula: @If(@ClientType = "Notes"; "PBRNotesClientSubform"; "PBRFCKEditorSubform")
  6. In the Bug Report form, there was no current value for the HTML Head Content formula, so I added the word HTMLBodyContent, which is the computed field on the subform which references FCKEditor.


After this, I tested, and sure enough, it worked like a charm.  If I have time later this morning, I share some pictures, but I think you get the idea.

Copyright © 2005 Genii Software Ltd.